Tuesday 24 March 2009

Spring: A new hope

I got a really cool book on Jackson Pollack’s art this lunchtime. It is a Taschen book and because it is their 25th anniversary they are selling their books at special prices. The Pollack book was only £7.99 which is a great price. Plus I love how they put their books together esp. as the image quality is so excellent. A brilliant deal and a book I will get lots of enjoyment from. I love Pollack’s paintings. I saw his Number 23 - 1948Enamel on gesso on paper at the Tate Modern in Liverpool at the start of February and absolutely inwardly (as I didn’t want to disturb everyone else in the gallery) went wild about it. It is so beautiful. It is layered and when you stand at different points of the room I felt I had a different reaction to it. Lovely :)

It was really nice walking through the park this morning. The daffodils were out and I could see new buds on the trees. I love the beginning of spring. I feel like there is an air of hope drifting around and for some reason I have a feeling that this year will be a good one. I have loads of interesting stuff happening like some new artwork that I am working on, my course, horse riding, looking forward to my holiday and of course watching Buffy growing past puppy to mischievous dog – I can’t believe she is going to be 1 yrs old in just a few weeks!!!

I watched a really interesting segment on Countryfile a couple of weeks ago about quarrying. Apparently quarrying rights were granted in the last 60 years but were not used and now can be used at anytime putting under threat coastal strips and National Parks. Anyone who owns mineral rights granted within the last 60 years can literally move their diggers in and start tearing up the land on sites which are now dormant quarries. These permissions are outdated and with a lot having changed ecologically in the last 60 years they seem ridiculous. I felt quite stirred up when I watched it. Please see the following link for an area soon to be obliterated (if the diggers get their way). http://www.saveportlandcoastalstrip.org.uk/index.html

Well I am off to drink a nice cup of tea and eat some apple crumble.

See ya! x

1 comment:

  1. I love Spring too. Sounds like you have a lot going on for yourself. I cannot wait till you come here and visit. I forgot to ask you, how long are you going to be able to stay? I wish you were just moving here. You can come live with us. I saw that I missed your call. Sorry. It was during nap time and I was trying to get caught up on some of my missing sleep. Hopefully you can call again soon. Love Ya!!!

    ReplyDelete